How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7508
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I need advice with tax upon death. My mother purchased a house

Customer Question

I need advice with tax upon death. My mother purchased a house but the solicitor recommended the house be bought in her son's name so that in the event of a care home being required they couldn't take the home in payment. She subsequently lived there and paid no rent. The house was eventually sub let and she received the income as she had to go in to care; we are now wondering what the tax situation will be for the value of the house, will it be included in her inheritance tax bill or when her son sell's it, will it be for him to pay capital gain's tax ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Can you confirm that your mother paid for the house. Was the rent disclosed by your mother to HMRC? Is your mother still alive? If not, what is her estate worth? Was she a widow?