How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7510
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I seem to be owing the tax man more and more tax why is this?,

Customer Question

i seem to be owing the tax man more and more tax why is this?, i broke my foot in 2011, and was off work for 9 months, toward the end of my time off i claim my NI to bump up my wages which had been reduced could this have caused my tax code to go mental?,
the tax office sent me a new tax code saying i now owe them almost £1,000, i cant understand why, i now earn less money today than 3-4 years ago please help me
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question
Could you advise
1)what tax year the taxman (HMRC) are stating that you owe £1000 for
2) What your income was for that year and did you have any company benefits through your employment such as company car, medical benefit
I should advise that tax and National Insurance are two incompletely separate entities within HMRC and you have claimed National Insurance back - so I wonder if you mean a tax rebate? Or that you claimed Employment and Support allowance or Statutory Sick Pay but these do not bump up wages - they are to replace the inability to earn money due to sickness, so please expand on this.
Have you ever had two jobs at the same time or a change of jobs, where you had been paid monthly and this changed to weekly, or left part way through a month ?