How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have a second property. Am I allow to make a gift to my

This answer was rated:

I have a second property. Am I allow to make a gift to my children of thi property without paying capital gains tax? it is now considerably more vaulabel than when first aquired
Thank you

Can you tell me what type of property it is and how it has been used during your ownership of it please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is a flat in central London and used by friends occasionally. We have owned it for 15 years


You cannot holdover the gain on a non-business asset I'm afraid. If you make a gift of it to your children it will be a disposal for Capital Gains Tax purposes based on the open market value and a gift for Inheritance Tax purposes. You may be entitled to relief for any period that the property was your main home at any point and, if it was your main home and it was let, you may be entitled to letting relief. Take a look at HS283 and here for more information.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you