How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

My mother passed away 8April 2013 and in order to settle her

This answer was rated:

My mother passed away 8April 2013 and in order to settle her estate I require a copy of her national insurance number for settling of her estate

This site has no connection with HM Revenue & Customs so I cannot tell you what your late mother's national insurance number is *****'m afraid. I may be able to tell you how to go about finding out what the number is ***** if you would prefer to have your deposit refunded let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi I would need more information on how to go about it


You have several options but you will need to provide proof that you are acting for the deceased estate.

1 Read the notes here and call the new helpline which is 0300(###) ###-####and explain your situation. You will have to write to request a letter disclosing your late mother's NI number. They may refer you to the form here.

2 Call the number here. Again, explain your situation and listen to what the helpline suggests you do.

If your mother was in receipt of any pensions, the pension payers should be able to tell you the NI number but they will need a written request from you. You might also try calling HMRC on the number here though they will probably refer you to the NI people here. THe NI number will appear on any P60 issued to your mother as well as correspondence or tax returns.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you