How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17146
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I am a non resident who is selling my home in England where

This answer was rated:

I am a non resident who is selling my home in England where I have spent more than 90 days in each year for the 2yrs I have owned it I will make about 30,000 profit less 7000 for solicitor and estate agent fees plus I spent 6000 on renovating will I have to pay capital gains tax?
Hello,As a non-UK resident you will get Private Residence Relief on the UK residential property if you or your spouse or civil partner were either living in the UK for that tax year, or stayed overnight at the property at least 90 times in the tax year (the 90 day rule).As long as the property was not let out while you were not in the UK, you will be allowed Private Residence Relief on the Capital Gain and have no tax to pay.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you will this be affected by another house I have in England which I am keeping for my family

You can only designate one property as your main residence. As long as you have not designated the other then you can use the residence relief for the one you wish to sell. The one you are keeping can then be designated as main after the sale of the first.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


You are most welcome.