How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have bought a new house rental investment. To set

This answer was rated:

I have bought a new house for a rental investment. To set the house up I had to put in flooring and a fridge freezer prior to the tenants moving in, can I offset these expenses against UK tax?


You cannot claim for the cost of the fridge freezer but you will be able to claim for a replacement should one be needed at some point in the future.

If the flooring was in a condition so as to make the house difficult or impossible to let or it was dangerous, then I would claim a deduction for new flooring. Some would see that as capital expenditure, especially if the price paid for the property reflected its poor condition however, which you would add to the cost of the house. As I said I would claim it if was needed to put the house into letting condition but treat it as capital expenditure if the place was derelict when you bought it..

Take a look here and here (paragraphs 1.1 and 1.2) for information on pre-letting expenditure.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Hi again.
It's been a couple of days since I answered your question. Is there anything you need further clarification on?