How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17106
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

Owing to numerous family problems I have just realised that

This answer was rated:

owing to numerous family problems I have just realised that I have not been paying income tax on this money what are the penalties and what should I do?
HelloYou must tell HMRC of your intention to make a disclosure about the income. You need to do this as soon as you become aware that you owe tax on your letting income.You can notify by:completing a notification formphone the Let Property Campaign HelplineYou will then have 3 months to calculate and pay what you owe.The Let Property Campaign is an opportunity for landlords who owe tax through letting out residential property, in the UK or abroad, to get up to date with their tax affairs. If you make a full and voluntary disclosure of all unpaid liabilities in these circumstances you can usually expect a lower penalty than HMRC would otherwise seek if they raised an enquiry or compliance check without the disclosure.The penalties could be up to 100% of the unpaid liabilities.
TaxRobin and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what would be the likely penalties if this had taken place over a number of years?

Every year would be independent and the 100% penalty would be based on the actual tax owed.