How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17610
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

As a British non resident, i want to buy a property in the

This answer was rated:

as a British non resident, i want to buy a property in the UK. what is the best way to do this. i presently spend less than 45 days in the country. my children live with their mother in a home that is in her name and this property is in the UK.
Hello,A private use property will not be subject to any taxes on income in the UK while the owners remain non-resident for UK tax purposes. On the other hand, any profits derived from UK rental receipts are taxable in the UK in all cases.An overseas landlord is required to register with HMRC under the Non-Resident Landlord Scheme. If you use a non-UK company to purchase, it eliminates exposure to UK inheritance tax (IHT). If you are not going to be using the property yourself then you may wish to purchase through corporate structuring with a NON UK company. If you intend to use as personal the individual purchase would be fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks.some follow up question:
1. as a non resident British expat, i intend to transfer money to the UK to purchase the property in my own name. this will be used by the family that are resident here. does this change you engage separately i.e. can we speak and see if i can engage you for a more detailed discussion?
The property purchased in your own name would not be a taxable event. It is what you do with the property that could make you liable for tax.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks, ***** ***** i were to buy a second property in my name as well - is it the same case i.e. until i sell or rent it out there is no to tax event or trigger....
That is correct
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, re the second property, it has a parcel of land that has potential for a new house to be erected. which i then intend to sell. would you suggest i purchase the second property through a company to be set up in the UK....
In either case (individual or company) the tax will be owed when the sale occurs. This will be so even if the company is in the UK or outside the UK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is it not a lower tax rate?
It will be a lower rate for a company set up to deal in real property, yes. The cost to set up and administer the company as well as your resident country tax would need to be factored in to any equation though to see if this structure is really more tax efficient. (Something outside the scope of our interaction)
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome.Best wishes in your venture.