How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7544
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

We have received a surrender premium and dilapidation payment

Customer Question

We have received a surrender premium and dilapidation payment from a tenant and want to know the VAT treatment as well as the Corporation Tax/Capital gains tax treatment
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to be able to help you with your question. firstly, forget about Capital Gains Tax, all these matters are outside the scope of that tax. These transactions are all part of your trading account. One point though, have you been charging VAT on the rentals? Once I know this I can advise you more fully.