How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4810
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am a British national. From 1985 - 2001 I lived

Customer Question

I am a British national.
From 1985 - 2001 I lived in Greece had my own business, paid tax in Greece and contributed to the Greek pension scheme for small business owners, TEBE. In 2001 I left Greece and returned to the UK. Before I left I closed all my business affairs, cleared with the tax authorities and arranged with TEBE for my small pension to be paid into the National Bank of Greece in an account in my name. I also arranged with them to transfer the pension over to me every two months. Since then there have been no problems.
Now they have asked for a lot of information including my cleared tax papers in Greece for this year. I can forward this to you, but it is in Greek. Since it was my understanding that I was non resident in Greece for tax purposes, and do not have sufficient income in the UK to have a tax liability, I am a little confused.
Can you help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help. Who are asking for a lot of information, the Greek authorities or HMRC? Please note that Just Answer have no connection with HMRC, but are an independent essentially UK tax advise service.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Greek bank requires this information in order to send my pension to me as before.

Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.

Then you must supply your Greek bank with the information they require which appears to be your clearance with the Greek tax authorities. You can explain to them that as your world wide income is below 10.6K [the UK personal allowance] you have no UK tax liability, if that is indeed the case, and, like the majority of UK residents, make no UK self assessment tax return.

I am sorry not to be able to be of greater assistance in this matter, but it appears to be a requirement of your Greek bank who themselves maybe have problems with the Greek tax authorities. Under the Double Tax Convention between the UK and Greece an income stream cannot be taxed in both jurisdictions and any tax deducted in Greece is allowed as a tax credit against any UK liability. If, however, you are, as you appear to be, below the UK tax levels then this is as much use to you as the proverbial sick headache and regrettably any Greek tax deducted is money sunk and lost. Unless, of course, you can persuade the Greek authorities that no tax should be deducted.