How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17609
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I am renting several rooms in my home. i understand the rent

This answer was rated:

i am renting several rooms in my home. i understand the rent a room scheme but would like to understand better how much i can claim as expenses if i dont join the rent a room scheme
can i claim all of my buildings, contents insurance or just a proportion. Also gas electric is just a proportion or all of the bills.
repairs are allowed i understand, as are cleaning expenses.
can you help me to understand this better so i can choose whether to opt in to the rent a room scheme or just claim expenses.
many thanks
Hello,You can choose which of the following two methods is best for you. Method A:paying tax on the profit you make from letting worked out in the normal way for a rental business (that is, rents received less expenses), orMethod B:paying tax on the gross amount of your receipts (including receipts for any related services they provide) less the exemption limit. The Rent a Room Scheme lets you earn up to a threshold of £4,250 per year tax-free from letting out furnished accommodation in your home. This is halved if you share the income with your partner or someone else.You cannot claim expenses on totals, you can claim the percentage of the rented portion for the expenses. If you expect to earn much more than the allowance you may wish to choose not to opt into the scheme and instead record your income and expenses on the property pages of your tax return. You cannot claim 100% of the costs because 100% of the home is not let.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you