How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

A former employer must give me a P45 - is there a statutory

Customer Question

A former employer must give me a P45 - is there a statutory time limit with in which he must provide that form?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

There is no statutory time limit but the P45 should be given to you as soon as possible. Your former employer has to tell HMRC that you have left your job as part of their real time reporting obligations as you will see here.

I'd suggest you give them a month, then chase them up for it. If yo don't get it within another week, tell your former employer you will call the tax office on the number here to report them for non-compliance with PAYE procedures.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.