How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4970
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I was named as a beneficiary of my sisters NILGOS pension.

This answer was rated:

i was named as a beneficiary of my sisters NILGOS pension. She died within 5 years so receiving it. Is what I have been allocated by NILGOS taxable?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Yes, this pension, like the majority of pensions is subject to Income Tax as part of your earnings. You should declare it on your annual self assessment tax return. You can ask the payer of the pension to deduct tax. They will then obtain a tax code from HMRC and proceed accordingly. I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.