How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15975
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

From 1-1-2015 my employment

This answer was rated:

from 1-1-2015 my employment was reduced from a 37.5 hours p.w to 22.5 hours pw until 18/6/2015 at which point I retired.
recently I received my P800 tax calculation which says that I have underpaid tax by x -amount pounds now this has arrived when I have retired and I feel it is not my fault if this is the case and my former employer has made the mistake in what should have been taken of my monthly wages when I was working.
I also wonder in the calculation has my status from full time to partime been taken into account
ni YM898913A,PAYE REF 961/KZ10426
Can you either scan and attach the P800 to your reply or tell me the income figures, the tax deducted figures and the allowances given please. Would you also let me know what the gross tax liability is and what the tax underpayment is.
Hi again.
I have your P800, your P60, your p45 and your June 2015 payslip. Did you start to receive state pension in October 2014? The PAYE income figure on the P800 is £35,040 yet the P60 shows gross pay of £29,734. Was there another source of PAYE income, an occupational pension for example. You need to check how the figure of £35,040 is comprised by calling HMRC on the number here:
Assuming you started to receive state pension when you were 65, unless this was put into your tax code straight away then you will be underpaid. 20% of £3,761 is £752.20 which is slightly higher than the £662.70 underpayment.
Going from full time to part time really won't make any difference. If the tax code is wrong, your tax will be wrong. Unless the taxpayer tells HMRC as soon as a new source of income starts, there will be a delay in having a tax code changed to reflect that new source of income. Your employer has to operate any tax code that is issued. It is up to the employee to make sure the tax code is correct and to have it changed if necessary.
I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you