TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.

When you get back dated pay ie last year I recieved my illhealth

When you get back dated pay ie last year I recieved my illhealth pension they gave me a lump sum backdated payment as it took 3 years for me to appeal the rate I would get. The lump sum was nearly £41,000 which was almost 3 and a half years of my pension. When this ammount is taxed are the hmrc supposed to take into account my yearly allowance for the 3 and a half years as they took over £17,000 in tax, could you give me any advice

You should write to the tax office and refer them to the HMRC manual pages here and here. You will need to give a breakdown of the arrears and to which tax years they relate. The tax position for each of the affected years will be re-calculated and the tax deducted in one lump effectively re-allocated. Keep a copy of any letter you write to the tax office.

If you suffer any more stalling, make a complaint. Read the notes on complaints here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.