How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4959
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Our rugby club agree to a licence pitches after being

This answer was rated:

Our rugby club agree to a licence for 2 pitches after being tenents for 135 years , we were offered a sum to compensate us for improvements ie 30 year floodlights ,drainage and pitch improvements railings ,posts .hard standing for cars etc .
Improvements agreed by landlord
Is the sum agreed subject to vat?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. It all depends upon the landlord's VAT status. The land transaction [ie the licence] would normally be exempt from VAT, but some landlords do charge it on land transactions as they can opt so to do. As for the other improvements they are indeed standard rated supplies and the landlord entitled to, and indeed must, if registered, charge the tax on the settlement invoice. 135 years eh; don't you wish some philanthropic Victorian hadn't bought the pitches for the club years ago! I recognise your predicament for your club is probably not VAT registered so cannot claim back the input tax. I was the Treasurer of a club once where extensive refurbishment of the premises was needed so we registered for VAT, claimed all the input tax back, but, of course, had to charge VAT on our subscriptions and bar sales etc and after two years de-registered. I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your right I am disappointed , after all my google research I was confidant that property compensation payments to tenants were outside the scope of vat , your answer was very quick please research deeper into this as buying or compensating for a 500 seat stand ie a building,or railings concreted into the ground are perminent stuctures and are outside the scope of vat ??
I am so sorry, but this is a fact of VAT. About the only building activities not liable to VAT involve residential accommodation or requirements for disabled people.
The property compensation itself may be exempt or even outside the scope of VAT, but any building works most certainly are not.
bigduckontax and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.