How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am an employee and shareholder of a UK company and the majority

This answer was rated:

I am an employee and shareholder of a UK company and the majority of my remuneration is by a monthly dividend. On this I will pay personal tax.
The company has a corporation tax liability due to be paid soon. As I am a shareholder and NOT a director do I have any personal liability when it comes to the payment of this corporation tax?

As a shareholder, your liability is limited to the value of shares that you own but haven't paid for as you will read here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply, though still not clear. Realised I should ask for more in-depth answer.

I own 10% of the shares in the company which I paid for.

In the tax year 2014-2015 I took circa £60,000 of my salary in shareholders dividends on which I will pay personal tax.

The company now calculates it owes HRMC £80,000 in corporation tax. Am I personally liable to pay any of this corporation tax as I am NOT a director of the company?

The company is responsible for the corporation tax, not the shareholders or employees. For example, if Barclays didn't pay its corporation tax. HMRC wouldn't go to the shareholders to get the money. In some situations, the company directors can be held responsible for a company's debts including tax.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you