How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5112
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I haven't pad any tax or NI 6 years. I haven't

Customer Question

Hi. I haven't pad any tax or NI for about 6 years. I haven't worked during that time, or claimed benefits. The money I have been living on has been through 'gifts' from a partner. I am now looking to start working again and wonder what the taxman will ask of me as I have not been on the radar for so long...
Thank you for your help...
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.
Please advise if you have filed a tax return in the past.
You say you are looking to start work that employment or self employment?
Many thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there, thank you for your response.

I never had to file a tax return as I always was in regular employment, that is until I was made redundant in 2006. I have never worked since.

Before I moved to my current address about 5 years ago, I remember HMRC sending me a letter to give me the opportunity to update my NI payments, which I did at the time. But after moving out, I did not advise them of my change of address, so as far as they are concerned, I am off radar!

Last year I requested a statement of my NI account online, but they wrote back saying they could not confirm my identity! I gave them my NI number, d.o.b, etc. but I did struggle to find the tax reference in the format they asked. I knew that wasn't it, but I gave them the closest thing I could find on my payslip.

In regards ***** ***** future work, I am not quite sure how that will go. I may get involved in the running of a limited company, as a shareholder. The concept will be to organise, for the time being at least, three to five fitness events a year. More if it catches on quickly. The rest of the time the company will be dormant. Whatever profit is generated, which we expect to be quite humble, will be left in the company's account. I will not be receiving an income from it.

I hope I have enlightened you a bit more somewhat!

Thanks for your time

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
assigned tax advisor not available at the time
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to assist you with your question.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
NI is handled by the following office:
National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office
HM Revenue and Customs
Although the office is actually situated in Newcastle!
Your NI number is ***** they would need to trace your record. A letter to that office should suffice to clear up the position.
For an income under GBP 112 per week or 486 a month no NI contributions are due. Any time spent on Job Seeker's Allowance reaults in a NI credit and over the age of 60 you need not contribute at all, again being credited automatically.
I do hope that I have shed some light on your position.
Expert: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. I see another expert has posted an answer.Your concern appears to be more with taxation in general than NI contributions at this stage.I am happy to continue with the answer if you wish. Please let me know.Many thanks.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
The customer relisted, but I will opt out in favour of the original expert.
Expert: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your detailed reply.

Here is my recommendation to you

Personal tax (HMRC)

If your circumstances were to change and you were to file a tax return in the future, then you need to register for self assessment and you will be given a unique tax reference number (10 digits). You would use this number when you communicate with HMRC.

You can register for self assessment online and the link is here

Although, if HMRC ask you to complete a tax return you must do so. This will normally be to make sure you are paying the right tax and getting the right allowances.

If you don’t already complete a tax return form, you’ll need to do so if you receive any of the following:

Income from savings and investments of £10,000 or more.

Income from untaxed savings and investments of £2,500 or more.

Income from property (before deducting allowable expenses) of £10,000 or more.

You receive income from overseas

Income from the estate of a deceased person on which tax is still due.

If you or your partner receive child benefit and your income is over £50,000.

NI contributions

You state you had problems finding your tax reference number when asked for by NI Contributions Section of HMRC. The payslip would normally have employers PAYE reference number.

It would be advantageous for you to write to NI Contributions Section at Newcastle address and request they provide you with a statement of your NI contributions to date for pension purposes and also update your records to reflect your current address and your status.

Future prospects

You have outlined your plans for the future. If you were to get involved in the running of a LTD company, you may be deemed as an employee. You will have to consider your status at that point. If necessary, register for self assessment at that point.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.