How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4768
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

A new client is leasing a public house from his previous employer.

This answer was rated:

A new client is leasing a public house from his previous employer. The previous employer is VAT registered. No assets are being sold or transferred so it is unlikely to be a TOGC. Will my client have to be VAT registered from the first day of trading or can he wait until his turnover hits the VAT threshold.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to be able to help you with your question. There is no requirement to register for VAT until the turnover reaches or approaches the threshold in any one year. However, if the client is not registered in that trade he will be unable to reclaim any input tax suffered on supplies. On the other hand, he will not have to worry about the palaver of accounting for VAT. It all depends on the long term turnover position. Indeed you can find HMRC quite resistant to registration where turnover is low unless one is operating in a zero rated output environment. I do hope that I have shed some light on your client's position.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your excellent support.