How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5152
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I rent out my 2 bedroom flat in london for £13000 250 a year

This answer was rated:

i rent out my 2 bedroom flat in london for £13000 250 a year how much tax do i have to pay i lived abroad t you michael
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Please advise if you are paying any expenses against this rental income. If you are then your rental income less allowable expenses would be chargeable to income tax.

You state that you live abroad. I take it you are regarded as non-resident in the UK for UK tax purposes.

If you are a UK National living abroad, you would still be able to claim your personal allowance is if you were residing in the UK. The personal allowance for this tax year is £10,600. If your only income from UK is property income then your maximum tax against it (assuming you are entitled to personal allowance) would be (13,250-10,600) x 20% = £530. if you were not UK National then the maximum tax is £2,650.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes