How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Individual tax returns

This answer was rated:

Individual tax returns The individual will do a tax return for the first time. Please explain to me about submitting individuals tax return for FY15/16 What is the filing date? When do tax payments have to be made? What happens if the individual then continues to do a tax return each year?


The filing date for a self-assessment tax return is determined by how it is submitted to HMRC. Look here for the relevant dates. The latest date a 2016 tax return can be submitted to HMRC online is 31 January 2017. A paper tax return for 2015/16 has to be submitted to HMRC by 31 October 2016. Any tax due for 2015/16 will be payable on 31 January 2017.

Look here for information on tax payment dates. Payments on account may need to be made if you have rental income or other income not taxed at source or you are a higher rate taxpayer.

I'm not sure what you mean by "What happens if the individual then continues to do a tax return each year?" The process simply repeats each year.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Say the person now has to submit second year return for FY16/FY17.

The form is due by 31st January 2018.

Will the person need to make payments on account, if so when, based on FY15/16 tax?

You touched on this.

Look here for information on payments on account and the criteria which determines whether they have to be made.

If payments on account for 2016/17 are required, they will be payable on 31 January 2017 and 31 July 2017.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you