How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4948
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am married and have lived in my marital home which I jointly

This answer was rated:

I am married and have lived in my marital home which I jointly own with my husband since 1992. My marital home was purchased for £110,000 but is now valued at £600,000. However, I also jointly own 50% of a flat which I purchased with my sister who is single in 1988 for £40,800. The flat is now estimated to be worth £235,000 in total. My sister has lived there on her own since 1992. I have never charged her any rent during the last 23 years. If we sold the flat, can you tell me what my position is with regard to the amount I would incur with any capital gains tax please on my 50% of the gain?
Hello I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. You would be liable for Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on 50% of the gain made on the disposal of the flat you jointly own with your sister. The gain is calculated from the difference between the acquisition and the disposal price. The latter is the net disposal price ie after deduction of selling costs eg agents' fees, solicitors' fees, advertising etc. The acquisition price is the purchase price plus purchase costs plus any improvements eg installation of double glazing, central heating, extension etc, but not routine maintenance. From your question the gain is 235K - 40K = 195K / 2 = 97.5K. You do have an Annual Exempt Amount of 11.1K to offset this leaving some 86.4K exposed to CGT. This will be taxed at 18% or 28% or a combination of the two rates depending on your income including the gain in the year of sale; worst case scenario is a tax bill of say 24.2K. I do hope that I have been of assistance with my answer.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your excellent support.