How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5141
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Can you please clarify the use of a capital loss . My

This answer was rated:

Can you please clarify the use of a capital loss for me.
My wife and I owned a small second house in France for just over 6 years which we sold on 30 December 2014 and on this sale we have made a capital loss. On the sale my French lawyers confirmed that there were no French tax liabilities or reliefs on the sale because of the amount involved and because we are resident in the UK. I raised the question of relief for the loss with HMRC who have informed me that this capital loss can only be used against future gains and cannot be used against income. However I thought that a loss incurred in a tax year could be set off against your income of that tax year which is what I want to do because I have paid substantial income tax in the year 2014/2015.
Can you please clarify this for me.
Thank you.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.
I will revert to you shortly.
Thank you for your patience.Trading losses can be offset against other income in the same tax year as explained in HMRC helpsheet hs227 here losses can only be relieved against capital gains in the same year or against future gains as explained here hope this ishelpful and answers your question.If you have any other questions,please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you