How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now


This answer was rated:

To reduce CGT INVEST IN AN ISA The below is something I read on the internet. If a person disposes a second house and makes substantial capital gain say £100k. Does the below mean he can invest £15k in an ISA, therefore his taxable gain will be reduced to £85k? If the house was sold in Aug-15 (FY15/16), when does he have to invest in the ISA to be in line with tax rules? Gains (and losses) held within an Isa are exempt from CGT so it makes sense, particularly for higher-rate taxpayers, to utilise the Isa allowance each year. From April 2014, an individual aged over 18 can invest up to £11,880 in a Stocks and Shares Isa. From July 2014, there will be a single new Isa (a Nisa) of up to £15,000, which can be invested in stocks and shares or cash.


Investing in an ISA will not reduce the property gain chargeable to Capital Gains Tax I'm afraid.

If you invest in an ISA, the income and gains made within the ISA wrapper will be exempt from tax.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you