How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17625
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I am working in Saudi Arabia . I have been working

This answer was rated:

I am working in Saudi Arabia for BAe. I have been working here since February this year. I am paying National Insurance. However, my salary is "tax free". I have been married for about 20 years. My wife is a primary school teacher in the UK and my children are 11 and 15. Unfortunately, we had a serious fire in our house last night. Thankfully, my wife and children managed to get out of the house, and were not injured. Also, we are insured and the loss adjusters are presently assessing the damage. I will be returning for some emergency leave on Sunday. I am now thinking that I should return to the UK permanently. However, I have been told that I will be liable for tax if I return before the end of the tax year. Could you clarify
1. How much time can I spend outside of the UK before I become liable for tax?
2. What percentage of my salary will I pay in tax?
I am trying to decide whether I should ask my company to release me from my contract - there is a three-month notice period, or see out the 3 month notice period.
Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Derek McCash
Hello,So glad to hear your family was safe.You can visit the UK without becoming resident again - depending on why you visit and how long you visit for.If you work full-time abroad, you can usually visit the UK for up to 90 days - as long as you work no more than 30 of these days.If you come back to the UK after living abroad, you’ll usually be classed a UK resident again.You stay a UK resident if you are abroad less than a full tax year (6 April to 5 April the following year). This means you usually pay UK tax on foreign income for the entire time you were away. All the income you were paid that has been designated "tax free" would not be tax free and you would owe tax on all the income.I understand you are concerned about leaving your family but if yo are going to make this change you should do it sooner rather than later as the tax owed would be a larger amount to make up for if you delay and do not meet the full year.You could check to see if your employer would withhold extra to make up the tax owed, should you decide to come back now or before the tax year is up. If not, you would need to register for self assessment and pay.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Thank you for the information. It is useful, but I am not sure about the withholding "extra". I will investigate that further with my company. My final query is, Isn't the first 10, 000 GBPs of a salary tax-free? Are the rules different for those working abroad? My salary is paid by BAe into my British bank account. Incidentally, I have been paying National Insurance since I started working for BAe in Feb this year.

Thanks again.


You would not loose any of your allowances so you would still be allowed to claim the personal allowance.Paying NI was not incorrect as you did intend to return at sometime.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you