How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17131
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

My mum gave me her maisonette back in 2007. My mum continued

Customer Question

My mum gave me her maisonette back in 2007. My mum continued to live there until she died this year. I am now selling the maisonette for a price less than it was worth back in 2007. I work at a hospital and am PAYE. Do I have to pay CGT?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
HelloIf your mother was a dependent relative, you may not have to pay any CGT on the flat. If the property was occupied by a dependent relative you have relief form the CGT. Assuming you mum was not, your gain is usually the difference between what you paid and the amount you get when you sell. As this was given to you, market price is used for your cost. You need to use the market value on the date of the gift.You would only have to pay Capital Gains Tax on your overall gains above your tax-free allowance (called the Annual Exempt Amount). If you have a loss there is no CGT to pay.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Wanted to touch base with you.
Rating in a positive way is acceptable.