How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5141
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now
This answer was rated:

I have been sent a P800 form denoting that I have tax underpaid. I

I have been sent a... Show More
I have been sent a P800 form denoting that I have tax underpaid.
I have not worked since April 30th 2015 and currently have no taxable income.
My wife also finished work on the 10th of April 2015 and also does not have any taxable income.
Both of us, and partially due to the under payment of tax, have decided to take tax free monies from our pensions for the year April 2015 to April 2016.
I am 63yrs old and my wife is 61yrs old.
Will there be an automatic adjustment made or do we have to inform someone and who.
Mike Hollyhead
Show Less
Ask Your Own Tax Question
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

As you both had some taxable income in the current tax year, you would get a P800 form for tax year ending 5Apr 2016 in due course and that should hopefully reflect adjustment to underpayment of tax.

You don't have to inform HMRC at this stage.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.