How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5142
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I am Dutch, not a UK citizen. After a multiyear stay

This answer was rated:

I am Dutch, not a UK citizen. After a multiyear stay in the UK, I will leave on Sept 1st 2015 to go to Ireland, where I will become a resident. I have been paying may taxes based on Self Assessment. How do I notify HMRC? Form P85 does not seem to be the right thing.
Also, can I pay off now all taxes due up to my departure date, including taxes for the period Apr-Sep 2015, so I do not have to do that later?
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

As you have been completing a self assessment tax return, I note HMRC recommends you don't fill in Form P85.

Your tax liabilty for current tax year won't be established until you file your tax return 2016 (some time in the next tax year). You could make a payment on account to cover tax payable for current tax year. It would be held against your tax liability due next year.

You would notify HMRC of your residence status by completing supplementary pages SA109 - Residence, remittance basis etc when completing your tax return 2016.
More information on this can be found on SA109-notes here

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for that helpful answer. Do I understand correctly that I would be basically leaving the country permanently on Sept 1st, without notifying at all HMRC that I am doing so? And that HMRC will only learn about this when I file my 2016 Self Assessment tax return? Is what I write above a correct description? Will HMRC not ask for some form of proof of my departure later on, after I have filed my 2016 return?

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Your understanding is correct.

When you complete SA109, you will advise HMRC of your new residence in the section Residence in other countries.

HMRC is unlikely to seek proof of departure. In the event they were to seek confirmation, retain your travel documents showing date of departure.

I hope this is helpful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the clear answers and advice. I will rate your advice immediately.

Thank you for your reply and good words.

I am happy you have found my responses helpful.

If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate/accept the service I provided to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.