How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4810
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have had a tax calculation from HMRC asking me

Customer Question

Hi - I have had a tax calculation from HMRC asking me for payment for private medical benefit following the submission of a P11D by my old employer. I left the company end April last year and was written to by the healthcare provider beginning of May telling me I was no longer included in the company scheme - the P11D has a full year's premium value but I have not had the benefit. What is my position here?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question. I am a great believer in the written word in these matters so one has a hard copy record of what has been said or discussed. Spoken word is not recommended, there is far too much chance of the person at the other end getting hold of the wrong end of the stick, if they can even find the stick at all!

There are two letters to be written here.

The first is to HMRC to appeal against their tax calculation. This appeal is simply a letter pointing out the facts that actually you only had a few weeks health benefit and a copy of the letter from the health care provider will support your position. HMRC will, one hopes, correct their stance and reduce the amount of tax claimed. At this stage their actions have been perfectly proper as that Department is operating from the [incorrect] P11D.

You must also write to your old employer requesting them to resubmit a correct, revised P11D to HMRC.

That is the way forward. As far as you personally and your tax bill is concerned, the letter to HMRC should solve the problem. I do hope that I have assisted you with my answer and shown you a way forward.