How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4949
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Can a person living in the UK be pursued payments gnerated

This answer was rated:

can a person living in the UK be pursued for tax payments gnerated by another country while living there in the past?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Historically this was impossible as British Courts would not permit such recovery actions to be taken. However, things changed in 2002 and such moneys can be recovered by HMRC through the following directive:. 'The Mutual Assistance Recovery Directive This Directive has been implemented in the UK by section 134 of, and Schedule 39 to, the Finance Act 2002 and by various regulations made under that Schedule (namely the Recovery of Duties and Taxes etc Due in Other Member States (Corresponding UK Claims, Procedure and Supplementary) Regulations 2004 (SI 2004/674)). Under those provisions, HMRC can recover amounts in the UK in respect of which a request for enforcement has been made in accordance with the Directive by a tax authority in another member state. HMRC can take the same proceedings (eg, distress) as they may in the case of the UK tax corresponding to the foreign tax being claimed.' [Source; The Chartered Institute of Taxation] I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does that include a Jersey?
Jersey is not part of the EU so the Section does not apply. That does not necessarily mean that Jersey cannot persue debts using the The Administration of Justice Act and the Foreign Judgments (Reciprocal Enforcement) Act. They mainly cover former and current Commonwealth countries, and include Crown states such as the Isle of Man and Jersey.