How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4953
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My wife and I are retired Swiss nationals living in France

This answer was rated:

My wife and I are retired Swiss nationals living in France on UN pensions.
I would like to spend around 3 years living (but not working) in London in a small rental apartment.
My wife and I will visit each other during this time, but she will continue to reside in France, which will remain our principal residence, and we will be making our tax declaration, and paying taxes, jointly in France.
I will be paying Council tax in London for my rental property, but will I need to pay income tax in the UK separately?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. If you spend more than 183 days in the UK in any one tax year you would be liable to UK taxation on your world wide income and have to self assess at the end of every tax year (5 April). Under the Double Taxation Convention between the UK and France you are only taxed in one jurisdiction for the same income stream. This is achieved by the means of tax credits, any tax deducted in one country being allowed as a tax credit against the liability in the other. The Convention does not, however, protect you from differences in rates of tax. France's taxation system is so complex and so constantly changing that apart from very general points I would hesitate to give advice. France has five times as many ta inspectors per head of population than does the UK and local, trusted professional assistance is recommended. Council tax will, as you surmise, have to be paid anyway. I do hope I have helped you with your question.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.