How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

What are the tax rules income if you rent a room

This answer was rated:

What are the tax rules for rental income if you rent a room in your house?
I think I recall that some years ago it didn't have to be declared but now it has to be declared...


Look here for the rent a room rules.

A resident landlord can earn up to £4,250 per annum tax free. There is no need to report it to HMRC.

If the income is more than £4,250. then it has to be reported to HMRC in a tax return.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

has the rule changed since 1999?

The requirement to report or not depending on the level of the income has not changed as far as I'm aware since 1999. I've had many clients who have used the rent a room relief. all you do is put an "X" in box 4 on page UKP1 here. I have to say, though, that many people who don't complete self-assessment tax returns (most of the working population) will not bother to register for self-assessment simply to tell HMRC that they received £4,250 or less in tax free rent a room income.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you