How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4952
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I have received my PAYE Coding Notice today and see that I

This answer was rated:

I have received my PAYE Coding Notice today and see that I still have a married couple's allowance, although my husband died earlier the year My husband's son-in-law has been dealing with these matters and may not have notified you of Jack's death Could you please advise me on what I need to do. tax re xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Marion, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry to hear of the demise of your husband. Just Answer by the way has nothing to do with HMRC nor is it part of that Department. I must say I am rather surprised at your question as married couple's allowance was abolished in April 2000. One spouse can, of course, allocate 1000K of their unused personal allowance to the other, but this only came in for the 15/16 tax year. If your personal allowance on your notice of coding is 10.6K then this is the standard personal allowance anyway. If you are quite sure that the coding is incorrect the remedy is simple. You just write to the tax office which issued the code advising them of the mistake and it will be corrected. These sort of errors happen every day so don't worry overmuch. I would not advise trying to do this on the telephone, the possibility of confusion and someone getting hold of the wrong end of the stick if they can even find the stick at all is too great. Just stick to a letter then you have a hard copy of what has been discussed. I do hope that my reply has been of help in setting your mind at rest.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your reply which is very clear. However my PAYE statement explains how my tax code is worked out.

Personal tax xxxx



If this allowance was abolished in 2000 why is it on my statement please?


Quite frankly Marion I haven't the slightest idea, but then Just Answer is not connected with HMRC in any way! However, I have a sneaking suspicion that an additional 805 might be a transfer of an unused personal allowance. It is clearly incorrect so write a letter to the tax office which issued the notice and ask them to amend the coding.

Furthermore the personal allowance for 15/16 is 10600 not 10660 so that needs checking too. HMRC would appear to be getting your personal tax into a fine mess, but again don't worry. They have initially got mine wrong these last 20 years. If you are in receipt of Bereavement Benefit remember that it runs for a year and is taxable also. If you have not claimed get a form BB1 from your nearest Job Centre to register your entitlement.

bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.