How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5145
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I would to know if my company should apply VAT to European

This answer was rated:

Hello I would to know if my company should apply VAT to European customers. It is a limited company providing online marketing services.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Please advise if your customers are VAT registered in their respective countries

Many thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you

Indeed one is registered in Belgium.


Melissa, thank you for your reply.There have been some changes to EU VAT legislation wef 1 Jan 2015 relting to selling of digital goods or e-services to consumers in the EU.It appears your business activity does not fall in this category.More information on what has changed can be found here you are supplying a service to customer based in EU member state and the customer is VAT registered then the supply would be a taxable supply but zero-rated.I hope this is helpful and answers your question. If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


I was wondering whether or not I fit in this category because for instance I sent email marketing campaigns where customers have to click on a call to action to download a booklet.

For other customers I have to create all the Google Adwords campaigns where recipes can be downloaded.


Melissa, thanks for your reply and for additional information.

Based on what you have now disclosed, some activity would be affected by the new legislation and you are advised to register for MOSS (Mini One Stop Shop) with HMRC.
More information on how to register can be found here

Some of your activities would be deened electronically supplied services and these are covered here

In that case, VAT would be applicable at 20%.

I hope this is helpful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again

Could you please clarify, there would be 20% VAT for businesses also?


Melissa, thank you for reply.

The charge of 20% (standard rate) would apply to all customers. Business customers would be able to reclaim VAT applied as their VAT input.

I hope this is helpful. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Could you please confirm me that 20% VAT rate applies to VAT registered in Belgium and Nederland based on the above info.


Melissa, thank you for reply.

If you register for MOSS with HMRC then the charge of 20% (standard rate) would apply to all customers whether they are based and registered for VAT in Belgium, Netherlands or the UK.

I hope this is helpful