How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4808
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I know the capital allowances and machinery, as stated

This answer was rated:

I know the capital allowances for plant and machinery, as stated in section2.53.
What I need to know is the allowance for furniture in the flat.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to assist you with your question. The definition of plant and machinery for capital allowance purposes is exceedingly wide and covers a great deal more than it nomenclature implies. The furniture in a let furnished flat would come under its umbrella. I do hope my answer has been of use to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The previous answer says that I could claim the total of 15,000 pounds, where as the tax return says @18per cent. Which shall it be?

Neither: 18% is the writing down allowance. Buying new furniture would be from the Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) which was increased from 25K to 250K 1 Jan 13 - 31 Dec 14 since extended to 500K from 1 Jan 15 - 31 Dec 15. Unless you are re-equipping the Brighton Pavilion with antique furniture I suspect that you will find the AIA ample! Full details you can find here:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please let me know in layman terms or in numbers what I should fill in my FHL return with regards ***** ***** 15,000pounds spent on furniture, TV etc. Thanks

Box 23 of the SA102S or box 49 of SA102F. Enter the full cost of the furniture bought in the boxes as appropriate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I did not explain that I have a 'Tax return for a non-resident company liable to Income Tax' form. I think it is SA700. The boxes are 1.xx, 2.xx, 3.xx etc.

That is a Corporation Tax return form, not a personal tax one. Box 2.81 is the relevant box to complete.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you mean 2.18 Capital allowances

Sorry, 2.61 on SA700, my error.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you and goodbye.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the just Answer site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.
And also the bonus!