How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5145
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I am 66 and my wife is 75 we have been been looking after our

This answer was rated:

i am 66 and my wife is 75 we have been been looking after our 2 grandchildren for the past 2 years in our home and now are going to take out a guaudianship order for them.
I get a private and state pension andmy wife gets just state pension I pay tax on my private pension, we have just applied for tax credits and child benifites for the first time.
do I write to the tax people and let them know my position or do I just leave well alone.
I am an honest person and do not like to take advantage.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

When you apply for tax credits and child benefits, HMRC would be made aware of these.
There is no need to write to them at this stage.

Confirmation of this can be found here (HMRC will update your personal records for tax credits and benefits including Child Benefit)

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you