How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4941
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

One of my clients who we manage the UK property has filed

This answer was rated:

One of my clients who we manage the UK property has filed paper returns (has tax ref no.) for many years about 7 yrs....with overall losses to date. And so far no news/reply from hmrc. Is it possible and what can the client do more or should the client
leave things as they are?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to assist you with your question. As you are probably aware, property losses for Income Tax purposes can only be carried forward and not offset against any other income streams unless the property is furnished holiday lettings. It does not surprise me that no response has been received from HMRC as there is no revenue due. Providing your client has adequate records of these losses to support his position there is nothing more to be done. To date he has acted perfectly correctly. Emulate Brer Fox 'For he lay low and say nuffin!' I do hope that I have been able to set your mind at rest on this matter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well how far should the client keep records ( I.e how many years back from 2013/14 ). Kindly note paper returns submitted yearly were down loaded from the website but to date no news from hmrc. Surely records going back years can not expected to be kept indefinitely?
Well in theory no, even HMRC destroy back files. As it happens my own tax records go back to when I first became employed, but that was on my Mother's advice, always to keep such files and she was responsible for the introduction of PAYE into the BBC in the early 40s. My own advice would be to retain records until these losses have been utilised or written off.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I meant about keeping the documents that accumulate such as receipts, expenses, invoices, etc incurred each year... As they can pile up over time. Pls clarify further if you can
You can destroy such supporting evidence, and just retain a summary. Personally, I would keep them until the losses have either been utilised or written off, but then I am a belt and braces man!
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your excellent support.