How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4808
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am a minister of religion and have to complete a S102

This answer was rated:

Hi I am a minister of religion and have to complete a S102
I am happy completing my own returns apart from Box 21 on SA102M
Can you please advise how you calculate the figure is it literally just the total of expenses paid by me but no claimed back from anywhere else?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Hers is what box 21 should contain [source: HMRC Ministers of Religion notes [edited]: 'Box 21 Travelling expenses and capital allowances (CAs) You can only claim for the costs you had to meet to do your job, such as: • travel costs, including related meals and accommodation – don’t claim the cost of your daily travel to and from work • the cost of using your own car for work • business expenses, such as official phone calls If you use your own car for work, the church may pay you a Mileage Allowance. If the amount you received was at the approved mileage rate [45p per mlle up to 10000 miles, 25p thereafter] you cannot claim any more than that mileage rate. However, if you are paid less then you can claim the balance up to 45p here. I think it unlikely that a person in your profession would actually have any expenditure attracting CAs, but until Decemer 2015 the Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) is available at 100% on plant and machinery. The definition is exceedingly wide and embraces expenditure far beyond its title. If you bought a computer for work for example that would be entitled to AIA. I do hope that I have shed some light on your position.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi KeithSo to clarify I am right I just put in box 21 expenses I have accrued. Last year I was given some what I believe to be false info that I should start with a figure of £6000 the capital allowance, take away any expenses claimed and then submit that figure on my form - it never seemed right to me and my tax went mad!
I regret you have been given duff gen and I am not surprised your tax went mad! The suggestion of how to complete box 21 is simply balderdash and piffle. You should have aggregated the expenses with the CA not deducted them. You should write to your tax office explaining the error and seek to amend last year's declaration. If you do you should recover some over paid tax.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you!Paul
Delighted to have been of assistance. Thank you for your support.