How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17610
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

My mother has received a letter from Lloyds Bank concerning

This answer was rated:

My mother has received a letter from Lloyds Bank concerning a W8BEN form to prove that she is not a U S citizen. This is the second such letter , we filled in the original form however as my mother doesn't have a passport or driving license ( & has never had either) we sent her birth certificate & P60. These as the second letter states as not sufficient as they are not a non u s passport or other government issued identification. I have spent hours trying to talk to someone at the bank who are unable to help us with what documents to send. Please can you advise?
HelloLloyds Bank would only require your mother complete the US form W8BEN if she is receiving a US sourced payment that would make her subject to US withholding.Your mother would need to supply a government ID or the bank will be forced to withhold 30% on this income.Identity cards were scrapped in 2011 but if she had one and did not destroy it Lloyds may accept that. While the identity card is no longer valid for official purposes some organisations may still be willing to accept them as proof of identity without the ability to check against the national identity register.If your mother cannot provide proof that she is not a US person then the bank will withhold, your mother can file a Non Resident tax return for the US and claim her treaty benefit for the lower tax on the US 1040NR return. She would be refunded the tax withheld over the treaty allowed lower rate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your prompt reply. I don't understand what government ID is?.its rather unfair to be penalised just because she has never had a driving licence , passport or identity card, is there anything else that will suffice as ID?
Not for this purpose unfortunately.

Hi Susan If your mother went in person to the bank she could take a document from this list:

• Current signed passport.

• Current UK full (not provisional) signed paper driving licence.

• Current UK firearms certificate or shotgun licence.

• Current Northern Ireland Voters Card (aka Electoral Identity Card).

• Current EU/EEA photo driving licence with signature.

• Current EEA (or equivalent country) National Identity Card signed with photo.

• Current biometric residence permit issued by the Home Office to EU Nationals.

UK Benefits/State Pension Notification Letter (certified, signed and stating the amounts received) from an official source i.e. Department of Work & Pensions (DWP)/local authority/HMRC/Job Centre. Must be dated within 12 months or current benefit/pension period. Only one type of benefit letter can be used per customer, HMRC Tax Notification e.g. statement of account, notice of coding relating to the current year.

P45/60s are not acceptable. Only one type of tax/benefit letter can be used.

• Current blue disabled driver’s pass (UK only) – provisional photo driving licence with signature.

The UK pension letter may be best for her if she has that.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks very much, I have found a letter from the DWP, its regarding the death of my father in June this year and confirms mums new entitlements,it's not signed by anyone, but has her NIno, address etc on it and outlines how her payments will be made up and goes on for 10 pages, will this do?
That should assist the bank in showing that she is not a US person.You are most welcome.My goal is to give you excellent service.Your positive rating is thanks enough
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you