How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4808
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am an 81 year old retired widower on a fixed income, if I

This answer was rated:

I am an 81 year old retired widower on a fixed income, if I remarry a 71 year old lady on a fixed income are our two incomes combined for tax purposes. and will that mean we pay more tax
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. The pair of you are definitely in a Dad's Army 'Don't Panic' situation as the amalgamation of spouses' incomes for tax purposes ended years ago; if I recall in about 2000. Each of you will continue as individuals as before and each with a personal allowance, currently 10.6K. There is now an ability for one spouse to transfer up to 1000 quid of their personal allowance to the other if they do not need it themselves. It is a laborious, long drawn out process. I applied and it was confirmed on the telephone month's ago, but to date nothing has happened. It's still in the D Duck and M Mouse stage! I do hope my reply has been of assistance. I have not gone into the Capital Gains Tax position, but remember that spouses can only have one tranche of Private Residence Relief, that's at their home or main domestic residence at 100%, between them.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.