How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17651
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

As a US citizen residing in Uk I have had only foreign pensions

This answer was rated:

As a US citizen residing in Uk I have had only foreign pensions (paid into US bank and
left there), did not realize I should have been filing UK self-assessment forms and paying
UK (in addition to US) taxes on this income. What should I do now
HelloAs a general rule, the pension/annuity articles of most tax treaties allow the country of residence (as determined by the residency article) to tax the pension or annuity under its domestic laws. This is true unless a treaty provision specifically amends that treatment.You certainly need to file the UK forms.There are special rules for pensions form a foreign source. You’ll usually only pay tax on 90% of your foreign pension payments (10% is exempt from tax).There is going to be relief from Double Taxation. In the tax treaty between the 2 countries does have relief under Article 17.The country of residence is the country that applies the credit against taxes paid to the other country. In summary you certainly need to file in the UK but I suggest you look to professional assistance this first time.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Please advise if you need more information or rating in a positive way is acceptable.