How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am married and working and have a tax rate of 40%. I have

Customer Question

I am married and working and have a tax rate of 40%. I have no other inco e so the tax is done automatically through my employer.
Since a year ago my wife started a temporary work for which she receives a total annual income below the UK tax threshold, and she receives no pension or any other benefits.
Do I need to include my wife's earnings in a joint tax return? So far we have not done this since she's below the threshold.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Hi.There is no such thing as a joint tax return for married couples and there hasn't been for about 25 years. Most taxpayers don't need to complete a personal tax return and from what you have said about your wife's situation, she almost certainly does not need to complete one. Use the guide here to check. If both spouses were required to complete tax returns, they would complete individual returns and include their respective shares of income from jointly held sources such as bank accounts or interest or rental properties in addition to their own independent incomes.I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.