How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4970
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am working in the construction industry through an agency

This answer was rated:

I am working in the construction industry through an agency and being paid on the umbrella scheme what tax return form do I use
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
The CIS system was made mandatory for many self employed construction workers with the aim of limiting the tax avoidance or even tax evasion rampant in that industry. It merely requires agencies to deduct Income Tax and NI at source.
You are still classed as self employed however and can continue to deduct all your appropriate expenses from your earnings.
You make your tax return on a Form SA100 and the supplementary Form SA103S. You don't need top worry about the tax deducted when filling in the form, but you must fill in the NI deductions made by the agent at box 38 on the short version of this form.
When HMRC send you the Form 800 at the end of each tax year after you have filed you annual self assessment tax return you should check it very carefully to ensure that you have received not the correct amount of credit for the deductions made by the agent, but also that the earnings and expenses are correct. If these are not right you should make an appeal which you do by letter pointing out the errors to HMRC.
I do hope that my reply has shown you a way forward in this matter.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your excellent support.