How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14166
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

VAT. We are a charity and run an allotment which is exempt.

This answer was rated:

VAT. We are a charity and run an allotment which is exempt. We claim its output should be zero rated as it is food.The allotment should therefore be zero rated.
HI I agree with you that the food should be zero rated, and as long as its the charity making use of the allotment themselves (and its owned by them ) then there would not be any taxable supply arising. If however the allotment is rented out (so the charity collects rental income) - then this changes the situation although only if there has been an opt to tax the land (which would not seem to be the case here) I would then advise you write in with the situation and ask HMRC VAT to formally state why there should be output taxa rising, and the legislation from which this legislation arises from If the situation is different from the two scenarios advised above, then please advise further.ThanksSam
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you