How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4944
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Sam - I am someone who comes from a working class background

This answer was rated:

Hi Sam - I am someone who comes from a working class background who now is lucky enough to earn a significant income which includes a typical annual bonus> I think due to my naievity i seem to be getting clobbered from all sides regarding tax!!!
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
Basically, as an employee, your ability to reduce your tax bill is limited. In general terms the only way is to make contributions to an approved pension scheme. Even then you are limited to the level of contribution. It is 40K this current tax year, 40K last tax year and 50K the year before. These limits apply to the sum of any contributions you or your employer make to a pension fund. If you use a SIPP you can go back three years to mop up un used contribution limits for earlier years.
You can, of course, claim professional subscriptions or possibly motor mileage, but these are small beer in comparison with pensions.
I do hope that I have been of help with my answer.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.