How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5112
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I have been a non resident of the UK since May 2009 and as

This answer was rated:

I have been a non resident of the UK since May 2009 and as of April 2015, I have been out of the country for a full 5 tax years. In August 2014 we sold our UK house and bought the money off shore to where we live in Switzerland. I'm preparing my UK 2014-2015 tax return, do I need to tell the Inland Revenue about my house sale even though I am not subject to CGT? I received rental income for some of the year so will need to file a property return along with the non resident stuff and the self assessment form. Are there any other forms I should fill out?
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Individuals are normally charged Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on the gains on disposal of assets if they are resident or ordinarily resident in the UK in the year of disposal.

An individual who left the UK to live abroad and ceased to be resident in the UK will not be chargeable on gains made in years of assessment after they left the UK unless their non-residence was temporary and they resume tax residence in the UK within a certain time.

As you have been a non-resident of the UK since May 2009 for tax purposes, you don't have to report the gain made on sale of property in the UK in Aug 2014.

Apart from the forms already mentioned by you, you should not have to fill any other forms for UK tax return.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you