How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Dear *****Tax, I am, as I mentioned, Spanish but I have lived

This answer was rated:

Dear *****Tax, I am, as I mentioned, Spanish but I have lived and worked in UK since 2005. Yesterday I received a letter from HMRC asking me to file my tax return for the 4 years since 2011. I never filed tax return as I never had any meaningful income
other than the one from my employer (which is deducted automatically). I now realise that I should have filed via self assessment. Should I expect to receive any penalty for filing late and what the quantum of that should be? Thanks
Hi again.
It's possible that HMRC are simply trying to get a handle on your personal income situation given that you are a relative newcomer to the UK to see if you had any other income, non-UK income for instance which you brought into the UK making it taxable here or untaxed income such as property rental income. If your only income has been your salary, then assuming your tax codes were correct, you should owe no tax.
Penalties of up to £1,600 per tax year can be levied for late tax returns for the 2010/11 tax year onwards. However, I recently appealed against four late return penalty notices for new clients, three have been accepted and I'm waiting on the last to be decided upon. HMRC are moving towards tax geared penalties which have always been around and have realised that fining a taxpayer £1,600 for a tax return even if it is a year late is unfair, especially where no tax is owed.
Most people in the UK don't complete an annual tax return as they don't need to. I suggest you complete the returns and then wait for HMRC's next move. If they issue penalties appeal against them using the form here:
You can always return to this question if you do run into trouble with HMRC as it will always be open for you to post follow up questions on the same topic.
I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Would interest income from bank/deposit account qualify as taxable? This is the only additional income I can think of. It would be an annual interest that would not exceed 1k or 2k GBP a yearAlso, hmrc is only asking for me to file tax forms for period since 2011. Should I pro actively file those of 2005(when I arrived to UK) to 2010?Thanks
Yes, it would but most UK bank interest has 20% tax deducted at source.
Only complete tax returns you are asked to complete.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Last one: you mention up to £1600 fine per tax yearSo, for say 2011-12 Tax year that I did not file, would I have to pay 1600x3 (number of years since I should have filed)=£4800?Thanks
No, you wouldn't. It's a maximum of £1,600 per tax year.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Super useful
Thanks and good luck. Don't hesitate to come back to this question if you have problems.