How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5112
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I have sold my property for £162,000 and awaiting completion

Customer Question

I have sold my property for £162,000 and awaiting for a completion date for next week. I am an Interest Only Mortgage for nine years. Can I claim back some of this interest through my taxes and hopefully get a refund?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.
You would only be able to claim interest on a home property loan,if it was a buy to let property and there was rental income received on the property.
Interest paid on residential properties for main residence do not carry any tax relief, I'm afraid.
I wish I could give you more favourable news - sorry.
I hope this is helpful and answers your question.
If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.