How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15975
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have recently returned from living in Cyprus years

Customer Question

I have recently returned from living in Cyprus for twelve years and I have tried to contact the Income Tax Office to.
What can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Why do you need to contact the tax office?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To register to pay Income Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me if you will be working in the UK as an employee or on a self-employed basis or you have other sources of income which need to be taxed such as rental income.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am retired and get my superannuation from the Tyne and Wear superannuation fund.
My only other income is the Old Age Pension
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Call the tax office on the number here:
Tell them you have recently returned to the UK and ask them to check that the right tax code is being operated against your pension. They may ask what other income you have so have that information to hand. If the tax code needs changing, then it will be done while you are on the phone. HMRC may also need to update your address.
The only other way you can contact them is to write to the address at the bottom of the page here:
Try to call at 8am Monday to Saturday. You will wait at least a month for a response to a letter.
I hope this helps but let me knowif you have any further questions.