How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Thank you my question, however I do request one

This answer was rated:

Thank you for answering my question, however I do request one clarification:-
It seems that if one spends less than 91 days in UK then one is non-resident for income tax purposes. But there is also a scenario when if one is out of the UK for more than 183 days then one is also classified as non-resident for income tax purposes. Both these scenario's apply to the respective tax year.
Please clarify if the above is a correct interpretation, and do they apply whether one is retired or working.
Hi again. In order to maintain your non-UK resident tax status, you need to keep your days in the UK under 91 per tax year. However, you can be treated as resident in the UK if you have three or more defined ties to the UK even if you spend between 46 and 90 days in the UK. Take a look here for more information. The defined ties are listed at the bottom of the page. If you spend 183 days outside the UK in a tax year, you may be non-UK tax resident but not necessarily. You have to compare the number of days you spent in the UK with the number of UK ties you have. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you